The Paper Industry Management Association (PIMA) bestowed its highest honor on Domtar President and CEO John D. Williams at the Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry’s annual PaperCon in May.
Williams was named Executive of the Year in recognition of his leadership, his contributions to the pulp and paper industry, and his management excellence.
PIMA cited Williams’ outstanding leadership over the course of 10 years as Domtar CEO, including his ability to continually evaluate long-term strategy while achieving strong short-term results. Thanks to his management excellence, we have experienced continued growth as North America’s leading uncoated free-sheet producer. We’ve also developed a robust biomaterials business to leverage our expertise in refining biomass as the world transitions from fossil fuels to a bio-based economy.
“I am very grateful to receive this prestigious honor,” Williams said at the event. “However, I cannot take full credit for our success. Our most valued asset at Domtar is our wonderful employees. They are the front line of our business and our true competitive advantage.”
While at the conference, Williams also spoke on an executive panel about sustainability and the ongoing trend toward a bio-based economy.
“Markets or end users that want to move away from plastics or petroleum-based products toward more sustainable and renewable products need a solution that performs on par with their current products and also has a robust build-out supply chain and scale,” he said. “We are providing bio-based solutions to incumbents in the plastics, materials and chemicals industries to help them and their customers achieve their own mandates to become more sustainable and move away from traditional petroleum-based plastics and materials.”
Recognizing Management Excellence at Domtar
Williams’ award is just one example of a Domtar leader being recognized at the conference in Indianapolis for management excellence in the pulp and paper industry. Four more Domtar colleagues took home prestigious PIMA awards for their contributions to the industry:
- Johnsonburg Mill Manager Greg Linscott received the Ray H. Cross Community Service Award honoring a paper industry representative who has provided outstanding community service by volunteering with local business, educational, civic and philanthropic organizations.
- Kerry Brown, Ashdown Mill paper machine superintendent, received the Brookshire Moore Superintendent of the Year award for her high personal standards and management qualities that make those around her better.
- Michael J. Subilia II, a Port Huron Mill process engineer, was among those honored as Young Professionals of the Year for making significant contributions in the areas of leadership, community service and problem solving in scientific or engineering projects.
- Steve Smith, Ashdown Mill Operations and Customer Service manager and PIMA executive council chair, was recognized as the Outgoing Executive Council Chair in appreciation of his many contributions to PIMA.
Other Domtar leaders also participated in conference sessions and showed why they are considered industry thought leaders:
- Steve Smith participated on the young professionals panel about sustainability.
- Ashdown Mill Quality Manager Roger Smith took part in a women-in-industry panel about communication.
- Kerry Brown and Steve Smith participated in the superintendent’s roundtable discussion.
- Kingsport Mill Safety Manager Terry Hughes spoke on a safety panel.
- Sustainability Vice President Paige Goff participating on a panel about making sustainability a core business objective.
- Human Resources Vice President Lisa Yankie moderated a panel about overcoming unconscious bias at the second annual Women’s Summit that was held in conjunction with PaperCon.
“Recognizing outstanding industry contributions has always been a hallmark of PaperCon,” says Domtar Pulp & Paper President Mike Garcia. “This is an annual opportunity to thank industry professionals for their extraordinary efforts. Having five of our Domtar colleagues receive prestigious awards says a lot about our company’s leading position in the pulp and paper industry.”