TAPPI announces 10 new Fellows and five recipients of the 2021 Young Professional of the Year award.
ATLANTA (February 22, 2021) –TAPPI is pleased to announce the election of 10 new Fellows, as well as five recipients of the 2021 Young Professionals of the Year Award.
Only a small percentage of industry professionals achieve TAPPI Fellows status. They represent every area of the forest products industry and hail from all over the world, creating a global community of men and women whose professionalism and meritorious contributions to the industry serve as inspiration to their colleagues.
Considerations for Fellows election include longstanding TAPPI Membership, exemplary volunteer leadership, and outstanding contributions to the industry’s knowledge base. The TAPPI Fellow designation is also conferred upon recipients of the Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal and Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Awards, and those who have served on TAPPI’s Board of Directors upon completion of their term.
The 2021 TAPPI Fellows are:
- Mary Beth Cornell, Membership and Global Development Director, TAPPI
- Carrie D. Enos, President, University of Maine Pulp and Paper Foundation
- Benjamin Frank, Ph.D., Director-Materials Research and Innovation, Packaging Corporation of America(PCA), and recipient of the 2021 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- Glenn M. Hanson III, Technical Sales Support - North and Central America, Metso Outotec
- Donald F. Hiscock, Retired, Former Director, Innovation and Business Development, CP Kelco
- D. Steven Keller, Ph.D., Professor, Miami University
- Femi Kotoye, Ph.D., Retired, Dow
- Lokendra Pal, Ph.D., Professor, North Carolina State University
- Scott Rosencrance, Ph.D., Regional Director, Kemira Chemicals
- Matthew A. Szymanski., Vice President of Mill Operations, Green Bay Packaging
This prestigious group will be honored at the Fellows Luncheon during the TAPPICon LIVE! conference, October 3-6, 2021 in Atlanta, GA, USA.
The Young Professional of the Year is an annual honor that identifies aspiring young leaders in the global forest products, pulp, paper, tissue, packaging, and associated industries. Eligible nominees are ages 35 or younger with less than 10 years of industry experience. For 2021, TAPPI chose five recipients based on their outstanding leadership, community service, and problem-solving contributions to scientific or engineering projects:
- Kyle Duffy, Finished Products Manager, International Paper
- Kimberly Hollifield, Manufacturing Excellence Leader – Paper, International Paper
- Josiah Fonte, Quality Supervisor, WestRock
- Lena Sharesky, Packaging Sales Representative, Packaging Corporation of America (PCA)
- Avery Wilson, Process Engineering Professional Intermediate, Jacobs
To be chosen as a YP of the Year, individuals must have made make significant contributions to the forest products industries in the following areas: Leadership, Community Service, and Problem Solving Contributions to Scientific or Engineering Projects.
In addition to being presented the award at their Division-specific conference, the honored YPs are also provided with one full year of TAPPI membership.
Like the Nicholson/Joachim/Magnabosco/TAPPI-PIMA awards previously announced by TAPPI, Fellows and the Young Professional of the Year awards are also considered Board-level honors. Nominations for all 2022 Board-level awards are being accepted until August 1, 2021.
To learn more about the individual awards and the nomination process, please visit TAPPI’s website.
About TAPPI Young Professionals Division:
The Young Professionals Division is composed of TAPPI members that are college undergraduates, recent graduates and young professionals in the industry. The division provides a wide range of products, services and educational opportunities, as well as a means for experiencing different professional areas, resources for career advancement and the chance to network with peers and industry professionals. More information can be found on the Young Professionals website.
TAPPI is the leading association for the worldwide pulp, paper, packaging, tissue and converting industries and publisher of Paper360°, Tissue360° and TAPPI Journal. Through information exchange, events, trusted content and networking opportunities, TAPPI helps members elevate their performance by providing solutions that lead to better, faster and more cost-effective ways of doing business. It has provided management training and networking to the industry’s leaders for more than 100 years. Visit www.tappi.org.