Resolute has set a series of value-generating, longer-term environmental, social and governance (ESG) targets for 2026 to complement our long-standing practice of establishing annual targets and other ongoing public commitments.
“At Resolute, we continue to raise the bar, increasing expectations of our own performance,” said Remi G. Lalonde, president and chief executive officer. “Having surpassed our 2025 greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reduction target, we are now in the process of setting 2026 reduction goals in line with the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), including scope 1, 2 and 3 targets. We aim to drive continuous improvement in all aspects of our business, together with ESG performance.”
In addition, we are renewing our commitment to maintain internationally recognized forest management certification at 100% of our managed woodlands and chain-of-custody certification at 100% of our manufacturing facilities. The sustainability targets we intend to achieve by year-end 2026 also include:
- Increasing externally sourced fiber that is third-party certified to 75%;
- Reducing waste sent to landfill by 20% at all pulp, paper and tissue mills compared to 2018 levels;
- Optimizing the long-term carbon capture of wood products by improving roundwood consumption at wood products facilities by 0.125 m3/mfbm compared to 2021;
- Achieving an Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) incident rate of 0.40 or less;
- Reaching 30 million hours without a recordable incident across company operations;
- Donating at least $1 million to charitable community organizations through the Board of Directors Safety Award Program;
- Contributing at least $5 million to community and academic organizations across all operations; and
- Creating an online, one-stop-shop procurement portal for local, regional and global vendors to highlight supply chain transparency.
We previously announced our intent to increase women’s representation on the board of directors to 30% by 2024, as well as to establish a diversity, equity and inclusion working committee, the latter of which we accomplished earlier this year. For a complete list of Resolute’s ESG goals, visit the Public Commitments section of our corporate website.
For a synopsis of the company’s sustainability strategy and ESG performance, we invite you to download our new leaflet, ESG at Resolute. For a comprehensive data-driven summary of metrics that follow the SASB requirements for forestry management and pulp & paper products, as well as select global ESG rating systems, please see our ESG by the Numbers leaflet.
Source: The Resolute Blog